Thursday, July 10, 2008

Continuing my ruminations or... MySpace Blues

Picking up where I left off in my previous post, I have to say that I've often felt the weight of the onslaught of messages from a crowd of guys that hoped to be able to date me; some of them were particularly creepy, mind you. I'm pretty sure most girls out there know exactly what I mean: the moment a woman joins a forum or makes her presence known in a forum is the moment that the vast majority of the males in that forum will start hitting on her.

And you know what? Never mind the official stats on illiteracy and literacy; it seems these stats don't apply in the online world. Most of the guys out there simply cannot read or cannot be bothered to read another person's profile. Even if the profile states that the person owning the profile is in a relationship or married or otherwise signifies that the profile's owner is not available romantically or sexually, it just doesn't matter. The guys will still flood your inbox or private message box with hundreds, even thousands of messages trying to score with you. It doesn't matter if you're half a world away from them (for instance, some 5,000 miles away from them) and have no intention at all to even think of booking a plane ticket to go and meet them, it doesn't matter if you're attached to someone or not, it doesn't matter if you're not into online relationships or not, there's an amazingly large crowd out there literally bursting at the seams to approach you no matter what.

Of course, I was always aware of this - I'm not a newbie in internet forums and other online communities, after all. But that's what drives women away and makes them stop participating in discussions. It doesn't make us feel comfortable at all. And, what's worse, it's often extremely frustrating. During the past few days, I attempted to expand my blog's presence to one of the most prolific social networks: MySpace. I created a profile and started reposting a number of my original posts using its blog facility. Guess what? I was quickly inundated with "friend requests" and TONS of messages asking me where I live, whether I'm single or interested in getting a new companion etc... Ugh. None of all those people bothered to read my profile or my blog. Obviously, this is not what I wanted; my aim was to promote my point of view. I didn't want a menagerie of potential suitors. If I wanted this kind of thing, I'd appear topless, wearing only my Alphamoda "Kimolos" strap-only microkini bottom and a pair of 7" high stripper-style platform mules in a night club, although I'm pretty sure no one would have the nerve to approach me in that context, because men have become utter wimps nowadays, standing at attention in the clubs holding a glass of booze in their hand and merely looking at the women; they only flirt with women online, "protected" by the might, "anonymity" and fortification of their keyboard and computer screen - the latter basically hiding their faces and eyes.

So, my MySpace experiment crashed and burned. It went down faster than the Titanic... So, I deleted my MySpace profile and account and said goodbye to that kind of BS, returning to the safety of knowing that, here on Blogger, someone will actually read this blog. Of course, this means that there's no chance in Hell that I'll try promoting my blog on other social networks such as Hi5 or OkCupid or FaceBook. Enough is enough.

Danae

4 comments:

Ο Αιρετικός - The Heretic said...

I don't find any of this surprising at all. Social networks are baloney, a bunch of false promises about finding new romantic and sexual partners, luring more and more people so that the social networks' operators (Hi5, MySpace, FaceBook, SecondLife etc) can earn lots of money. Especially the ones I put in brackets are the biggest storage facilities for geeks that can't approach a woman in the real world, but instead try to "score" online. Real life is only outside the net. Too bad too many people can't realise it.

Arianna Oranos said...

You said "If I wanted this kind of thing, I'd appear topless, wearing only my Alphamoda "Kimolos" strap-only microkini bottom and a pair of 7" high stripper-style platform mules in a night club, although I'm pretty sure no one would have the nerve to approach me in that context, because men have become utter wimps nowadays".

Amen to that, sister!

trepidation said...

Men approach me all the time at bars and I don't dress trendy at all. I wear jeans and a hoodie/t-shirt (depending on the weather). I think sometimes - if you don't leave anything to the imagination - men have no reason to approach you. It's like, "I'll check this one off the list, already seen everything on her."
A lot of men actually like modest women - it's not that they are wimps, it's that they value a woman who doesn't depend on her appearence for attention.

Major Misa Hayase said...

@trepidation:

Both your reply and the ridiculous hate-filled article you wrote on your blog have all the value of diarrhoea.

Go back to your hate-hole and let others live the way they want.