I know it's been a terribly long time since I last posted anything, but I don't buy tons of new swimwear everyday. Anyway, today I'll write a review of two new microkinis I bought. They are the Alphamoda "Kythnos" and "Santorini" bikini bottoms. Usually, I buy a complete set consisting of a top and at least one matching bottom. However, this time I decided to challenge myself a bit and go for bottoms only, so that I'd be topless during my entire stay on the beach, without having the option to wear a top.
Alphamoda, which makes swimwear both for men and women, does not make bikini sets in which you get a package top and bottom deal, but, instead, lets you mix and match. Of course, this means that:
- You can buy either just the top or just the bottom or both.
- You can mix and match the top and bottom as you see fit.
- "Classic" - this is a collection of tops and bottoms that are generally skimpier than most of the suits you'll find in most lingerie/swimwear stores. Basically, they are sexier renditions of well-known and loved styles.
- "Hot" - skimpier than the "Classic" ones, some are well-established designs (such as the "Kythnos" I'm reviewing in this post, which, aided by the seam down the middle of its front, gives a camel toe effect that many people, including me, find very sexy) and includes what is Alphamoda's most original and unique design so far (and one of my personal favorites), the "Antiparos".
- "Extreme" - Now these are seriously skimpy. For those who only know Wicked Weasel, most of these suits are seriously in the same league as the famed "Microminimus": very, very narrow, covering only the barest of the bare essentials. The most well-known design of this range is the "Halki", which I intend to purchase this summer.
- "OUTline" - This is Alphamoda's response to the trend for "fabric-less" or "single-string" ladies' swimsuits that started a few years ago by Double Take MicroWear, a trend that was also followed at around the same time by a few other well-known companies. These swimsuits are just straps and rings, nothing else; they provide no cover whatsoever and, in my eyes at least, wearing them seems pointless, except for those very special moments on a deserted beach with your significant other. The various "exposure" swimsuits for men made by a few companies such as Koala and Dubio Bikinis can be seen as the male counterparts; Alphamoda, however, seems to have decided not to mirror this collection in its men's swimwear section.
The microkini bottoms I bought are:
- A "Kythnos" in shiny black, with matching tie-side straps, a "triangle" back and metal rings
- A "Santorini" in shiny red, with shiny black tie-side straps, black stitching, a "triangle" back and metal rings
Anyway, here they are (you can click on them to see the full-size versions):
"Kythnos" front top close-up
"Kythnos" strap and ring close-up
"Kythnos" inner stitchwork close-up (central seam and front/back joint)
"Kythnos" inner stitchwork close-up (side and central seam)
"Kythnos" inner stitchwork close-up - back
"Santorini" - all of it
"Santorini" front close-up
"Santorini" back close-up"
"Santorini" side and ring close-up
"Santorini" inner stitchwork close-up (back/front joint)
"Santorini" inner stitchwork close-up - back
Then, why haven't Alphamoda made more of an impact on the market, with a greater variety of designs, colors, fabrics and more sales? Well, let's face it: Alphamoda is a one-person outfit, run exclusively by one woman, with a little help from her husband. Its profit margin is about 30-40%, as opposed to the 90% some other makers achieve with outsourcing to China or other such countries and using dirt-cheap Chinese materials. Also, all the suits are exclusively handmade and this is time-consuming. Furthermore, Alphamoda doesn't have the resources to promote its products as heavily as some other, more prominent manufacturers; and it most certainly doesn't have an ex-rock star as its owner (and we all understand how beneficial stardom can be, when it comes to having contacts in the Press and promoting your brand). It's just a small outfit, making a nice product for a rather small clientele.
Verdict: Once again, Alphamoda delivers the goods with great quality and fast, reliable and friendly service.